Who doesn’t have a microwave these days? We all have one sitting on our kitchen countertop in a silent corner. Most of the time it is used to just heat food, it is more a small heating box than a microwave! Those who are proficient, use it to cook, bake, grill, etc, while others use it to just heat. The microwave can do more than just that, there are quite a lot of hacks to use the microwave more efficiently and save a lot of time in the kitchen, especially while you cook!
- Before you chop those onions, put them in the microwave oven first, heating them for just 30 seconds and your onions will become tear-free when you cut them.
- Have your spices lost their aroma? Microwave them for a few seconds and watch them regain their aroma.
- Restore the crunchiness of your potato chips, by heating them for a few seconds on a paper towel in the microwave.
- Did you forget to soak lentils or beans overnight? Just soak them completely in a bowl full of water, add a pinch of soda bicarbonate to it. Microwave the bowl at full power for 10 minutes, and then leave them inside for another 40 minutes. Your lentils or beans will be soaked perfectly for you to use.
- Toast nuts and spices by microwaving them for bursts of 15 seconds till the aroma spreads in your kitchen! Your nuts or spices will be perfectly toasted.
- Cook potatoes in a microwave rather quickly. First, prick the potatoes on all sides using a fork. Then put as many potatoes as will fit in your microwaveable bowl, and cook them at high voltage for 2 minutes. Remove the bowl and turn the potatoes over, Cook them again for a further 2 minutes. Your potatoes are now cooked and ready.
- Cook your fish quite perfectly in your microwave. Wrap it in microwaveable plastic, add seasoning, microwave it for around 2 minutes. The cooking time depends on the strength of the microwave and the thickness of the fillet. Watch the fish closely, to prevent it from getting overcooked. Vegetables can also be cooked in the microwave minimizing nutrient losses. It is faster than steaming the vegetables inside a cooker or a steamer.
- If honey solidifies inside the jar, uncover the jar, and microwave it for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This will liquify honey and bring it back to its normal consistency.
- Microwave garlic cloves on a kitchen tissue for around 10 seconds. The tissue will absorb the moisture and allow you to peel garlic effortlessly.
- Microwaving a lemon for 1 minute makes it very juicy and allows you to squeeze the lemon easily until you reach the last drop.
- Now you can disinfect kitchen sponges, by putting them in a bowl filled with water and a dash of vinegar or lemon juice. Microwave it at high power for around a minute and this will clean the sponge and disinfect it thoroughly.
- Warm hair oil or other beauty products for 20 seconds in the microwave, if they harden inside the bottle during winter. This liquefies the oil within the bottle and can then be poured out quite easily.
- Get a hot water compress by soaking a hand towel in water, and microwaving it for 1 minute. In no time, you will have a soothing hot compress. Similarly, if you use heated gel packs to alleviate headaches, you can also heat and reheat the gel packs in the microwave.
There are many more such small but easy hacks that can save you a lot of time and effort and stop your microwave from being just a heating box!