Many home and health hacks use common items from our everyday lives. However, we don’t really know it unless we see someone do it or tell us about it. So, here are a few hacks using baking soda, which you thought can only be used for cooking. You may be quite surprised to know that baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) can be used as a natural, eco-friendly option for health hacks, cleaning products, beauty treatments, and much more. Here are some that you can try out.
Baking soda can be used in many ways as a health hack and here are a few tips for you.
- Did you know that in earlier days people used to use it as toothpaste? Yes, you can use it as a whitening agent for your teeth, by just dipping your brush in it and then brushing your teeth with it. It even keeps your breath fresh.
- It removes body odor, and you can use it as a deodorant, by lightly patting it under your arms to keep the sweat smell away.
- Use it as mouthwash, with a diluted solution of a teaspoonful of baking soda in a glass of water. Rinse thoroughly as you would when using a mouthwash.
- Itchy insect bites like that of a mosquito can be eased by using a paste of baking soda and water.
- Baking soda is used as a dry shampoo to get rid of oiliness in the hair if you don’t have time to wash the hair.
- You can use it as a wet shampoo too, by combining it with apple cider vinegar.
- It can be added to your bath water to exfoliate your skin.
- It has been used for long, as an antacid to relieve upset stomach, indigestion, heartburn, etc.
Baking soda can be used as a deodorant to get rid of any odors in the house. Here is what you can do.
- Use it along with a diffuser and essential oil as an air freshener, by adding a pinch of it in the water and oil.
- You could dry clean your rugs using baking soda by sprinkling it on the carpets/rugs and leaving it overnight. The next day, you could vacuum clean the rugs for freshness.
- The above method can even be used to clean soft toys if you have them.
- A teaspoonful of baking soda can be placed in a small container in the fridge to keep it odor free.
- This method can even be used in the wardrobes instead of the chemical mothballs. You may also add a bit of any preferred refreshing essential oil in the container while keeping it in the wardrobe.
- Sprinkle baking soda in the toilet and leave it for a while before cleaning it out for a fresh, clean bathroom.
Baking soda as a cleaning agent is a known fact, which many people have been using since long now. If you haven’t yet, you could try out these options.
- Use this to unclog your kitchen sink. Periodically pour a combination of baking soda with water or even vinegar down the drain to keep it free-flowing.
- You may use a baking soda solution to clean out the build-ups on combs and brushes. Just keep them dipped for about half an hour and then you can easily clean these out.
- Incredibly, baking soda can actually be used to shine your silver articles at home. A paste of baking soda and water can be applied on the articles to clean and scrubbed with a clean cloth and then wiped dry.
- You could even remove stubborn stains in the kitchen sink or counter, floors, or in microwaves, etc., by using baking soda and water mixture. It even cleans stains from your walls, like if kids have drawn or painted on them.
- Use a baking soda solution to wash the fruits and vegetables to ensure that any pesticide or chemical residue is cleared off fully.
You could add a pinch of baking soda to the vase to keep your flowers fresh for a longer duration. Sprinkle a baking soda mixture on ants, and it works as a pesticide as well. You could use baking soda this in many different ways as a life hack.