With children moving abroad for employment purposes, the elderly population living alone and looking after themselves is increasing at a fast pace. As a result a number of senior housing and care facilities are available now.
Various Senior housing options available are:
- In Home Care: This option is commonly used and it facilitates senior people to live in their own homes or with family even when care needs arise. Private Caregiving is thus a widely used option.
- Home- Health Care: This option includes services like Physiotherapy, Nutrition therapy, Wound care, IV, injections, speech therapy, oxygen administration etc. that can all be made available at home by medicare services.
- Adult Day Centers: These services or facilities provide meals, activities, transportation, hands-on-care and recreational activities for the seniors who need assistance with daily living activities. If the children hace to go to work, this option can be a welcome respite.
- Assisted Living: These provide a structured setting for seniors with multiple care needs like all Activities of Daily living.
- Retirement Living: This is a concept which is gaining ground fast in India with many builders developing such communities. These are appropriate for the seniors who are able to manage their health care needs on their own or with assistance from family or private caregivers in an apartment or condominium style setting. They offer facilities like monthly meal plan, housekeeping, recreational activities, transportation, doctor on call etc. This concept provides seniors with an option to spend the rest of their lives with like-minded people from the same age and income group.
Checklist for selecting a senior living option:
- Skid resistant tiles on the apartment floor
- Easy to reach light switches
- Emergency bell switches in bedrooms
- Shower seat or chair in shower area
- Switches in bathroom to activate security to provide immediate help
- Grab rails in kitchens and bathrooms
- Wheelchair friendly
- Doctor-on-call/ Tie-up with a good hospital
- Antiglare signage
- CCTV in common areas
- Recreational Facilities like reading room, card room, carom room, tennis court, swimming pool, park etc.
- Meal Facilities
- Household cleaning service
- Housekeeping/Maintenance on call
- Laundry facility
- Physiotherapy center