With retirement, there comes the dual issue of wanting to enjoy the phase while also not wanting to compromise on financial freedom. Does retirement equal a lack of opportunity? Certainly not. The internet has made it possible to enjoy your retirement such that you earn for just a few hours doing what you truly enjoy. Here are some great ideas.
- Turning your home into a homestay: The concept of affordable homestays is fast catching up. Jump on the bandwagon. If you have a lovely house and you love meeting new people, open your doors to guests and make a few extra bucks.
- Sell your services: Perhaps you’re a great photographer or a writer. You can take up freelance projects and make money. You can also sell your professional photos for a fee.
- Sell your products: If you have a nifty hand and love for all things handmade, this is for you. From custom mugs to crochet clothing and jewelry, there is a lot you can do to sell from home.
- Become a paid volunteer: Sounds like an oxymoron, but some organizations such as Milaap offer paid volunteering, especially if you have a niche skill they need. Such opportunities help you participate in social service while also ensuring a financial safety net.
- Become a local guide: In India, there is no dearth of places to see. If you live in a particularly touristy town, you could be a guide. While you can do this as a hobby, it also helps to sign up for a Government ID and do it professionally.
- Online surveys: A lot of advertising and product companies pay quite a bit for online surveys. You can sign up and start taking surveys immediately. You need to be very honest and spend time doing them, else you’ll be blacklisted from future surveys.
- Grow a vegetable garden: If you have space, you could grow organic vegetables and sell them in the neighbourhood. This is a great way not just to earn, but also contribute to community health.
- Become a cook: If food is your first love, don that apron and become a home cook. With options like signing up with apps and creating Facebook pages, you’ll soon go places.
- Join a company board: If you’re a professional with a niche skill, join a company as a contractor and earn fees with your special skills.
What would your choice of post-retirement activity be?
Take a look at more options on our Silver Jobs page!